CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas Post- A little late and pretty long!

Christmas was almost perfect this year!

The only reason I saw "almost," is because my mom was super sick Christmas day, so it just wasn't the same. Luckily she was feeling good Christmas Eve so we enjoyed that tradition as a family, but Christmas morning she woke up feeling horrible. I felt so bad because Christmas is one of her favorite times of year. She always goes above and beyond with her beautiful decorating and delicious dinner! We convinced her to open her gifts and begged her to let us postpone Christmas until she was feeling better, but she insisted we continue on with the day.

We don't have a very big family, neither Paul nor I, and sometimes growing up I would wish that we had lots and lots of brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc., with crazy big family gatherings. But now I have come to truly cherish our small family and how intimate our holidays are and have always been. It's actually pretty nice because you can go back for 2nds, or 3rds, or 4ths a few hours later on the twice baked potatoes and ham and not worry about what anyone is thinking, sprawl out for a nap any time of day without feeling awkward, and truly enjoy a STRESS FREE day full of laughter with those who are closest to you.
This is not to say that I don't have my own dreams of a big family of my own someday....but we'll see what the future brings! For now, 3 is the perfect number for us.


Christmas Eve has always been celebrated at my parents' house. Nothing fancy....Dad's chili, Em's cookies, football, Elf, and new jammies for all. JUST PERFECT! It's always super laid back, casual, cozy, and FUN! Oh yeah.....SAVANNAH TOOK 3 STEPS ON CHRISTMAS EVE DAY TO HER AUNTIE EM!















Paul and I always open gifts from each other on Christmas Eve.















Christmas morning we woke up bright and early and headed over to my parents house. My dad ROCKED the food on Christmas Day all on his own since my mom was totally out of commission. We had delicious eggs, potatoes, and cinnamon rolls and then opened fun gifts from each other. Savannah was definitely loving all the bright colors, paper, and bows, and especially all the attention. My parents always do such a great job of finding such fun surprises for everyone.

















Then we were off to Paul's dad's house for coffee and gift exchanging!











After his dad's we headed home, unloaded the car, reloaded the car, showered and headed to Paul's grandparents' house to spend time with his mom and that side of the family. Savannah had fun playing with Paul's cousins' kids. They're all older, but she LOVES being around other kids.











Then it was back to my parents' for dinner and fun, where once again my awesome dad pulled it off! He successfully prepared a delicious dinner by himself. Chief was exhausted from the busy day. We caught him trying to curl up in this gift box!!!!
All in all it was an ALMOST perfect Christmas!!! I am so thankful for my family that I love more than anything in the world!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

SloneFamily said...

Cute Pictures Megs. Sounds like a busy but fun christmas. You seriously have Super Dad at your house...he is amazing. The best brownie I have ever eaten in my life was made by Mr. Hogen!

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds like such a fun day full of memories! I am so happy Savannah had an amazing first Christmas! She is absolutely adorable. She gets more beautiful each time I see her picture. I am free any day next week except for Thursday. We can come to you, I would love to see your house! Let me know--I miss you!