Alright mama bloggers, I need advice.
1. Savannah is almost a year and I know it's time for me to take away her beloved bottle. I don't think the day time is going to be too bad. I have been replacing her day bottles with cups and she usually does ok. The hard part is when she's sleepy. Now, knowing that this is not the "ideal" way to do things, I give Savannah a bottle to put her to bed. No judgement please. : ) She is an awesome sleeper and it's just always worked really well. All along I've known that I've been setting myself up for a few bad nights when the time came for no more bottles, but it's a battle I've purposely postponed.
So here's what I'm asking.
Advice on night time routines- Ours currently looks like this:
bath
lotion
hair brush
jammies
clean up her room while she plays with books for a few minutes
read a few stories
music
in the crib with a bottle (I need this to be in the crib, NO bottle)
and she's out in about 10 minutes when her bottle is gone
Advice on taking away the bottle-
I've been advised to go cold turkey. I've heard it's actually easier on the baby and the mom. I think I'll be less likely to cave if the bottles are out of site out of mind completely. Opinions?
Also, naps? Advice on consistent nap schedules. Savannah is not much of a day sleeper. (Strangely she is going on her third hour of a nap right now, completely atypical!)
Do I put her in her crib in the afternoon when she starts getting sleepy and leave her in there even if she's not sleeping?
Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice. Even if you're a reader and haven't commented before, I would love your mama tips!
First Day of School
10 years ago

7 comments:
My little one just turned one and I struggled for the first week after the big birthday to get him to stop "needing" the bottle for bedtime.
The best transition and a $3 investment worth making is a pack of Nuby brand transition cups. They have a sippy cup spout...but here's the kicker...it's all silicone just like a bottle nipple. Dylan's been really good and sometimes even rejects it at bedtime knowing it's not a bottle, but there if he REALLY wants it.
About the naps. Dylan stopped actually sleeping when I put him in his crib in the middle of the day for a nap. I still put him in there and leave him in there for an hour and if he falls asleep he falls asleep, if not, I can just overhear him playing with his monkey or blankie.
Hope this helps...from one stranger to another. :)
Luckily, and not luckily, when Cam turned one he also had bronchiolitis...and I said no bottle with formula or milk because it would make him congested...so luckily he was miserable with or without the bottle because he was sick, but I did cold turkey and put the bottles out of sight...its just a preference for you really. Cam does not due typical sippy cups...he ONLY will take a sippy cup with the leak free straw...he loves straws and hates traditional sippy cups.
I went cold turkey with the bottle, but try different ways and see what works for you...We are currently trying to think of a way to get rid of the beloved binky...thats going to be the tough one for him.
Naps...Cameron wakes up at 7 and I take him upstairs and he watches blue clues while my mom makes him breakfast and I get ready for work. By 10:30 he is exhausted. My mom and I will lay him on a pillow on our lap and sway our legs and pat his butt and that helps him get to sleep and then we lay him in his pack and play for naps and sometimes he is just so tired he will walk over put his hands up and literally fall asleep as we are putting him in his pack and play...no swaying needed haha...and he sleeps til 1...eats lunch, plays and takes his second nap around 3. That one isn't very long, but we don't put him in his crib for nap, just his pack and play...I think trying to put her in her crib would work...turn the blinds down and some soft music and think she would be asleep in no time. Try different things...thats what we do up here though! :)
longest comment ever! haha
Ok, Megan... did you just read my mind?!?!? I just did this for the first time last night and it seriously was not nearly as bad as I thought, BUT BUT BUT Tay is old enough to understand that we went to the store and let her pick up any new "pretty sippy cup" she wanted. I also let Chloe do the same so she would feel like she was getting to do something Chloe did. Then at bed time I made it a really big deal, Like "Ok, here is your big girl sippy cup, look how pretty it is." And anytime she would bring it to her mouth Clint and I would clap. I laid her down in her room with the cup and she did what she usually did! YAY! So what I am thinking is keep working on it slowly...but know it is not a DIAR situation. She is not even 1 yet. But I do think if you completely take them away during the day and then start seeing what she does at night with one, it will start getting easier and easier. I have not figured out whether it is easier to take it early or easier when you can explain it to them. Tayler is getting to the tacky point though... so it needs to be done like yesterday. Good Luck. Give it a shot... she may surprise you! Sometimes it's us who are more addicted to the routine/situation then they really are!
Okay.... The nap thing I have no idea because I have the same questions. Naps are such a difficult thing.... If you figure it out please let me know!
I usually only come to you for advice because you are ahead of me in age bracket but one suggestion I have would be to start giving Savannah her nighttime bottle RIGHT before you put her in the crib, give it to her in her room on her floor with the lights dim. After she takes the bottle out of her mouth or starts playing with it, give her a kiss and put her in bed without the bottle. Maybe once this is established as a routine you can start cutting the nighttime bottle out all together. I am no expert and Gracie is younger than Savannah and hates bottles. I'm probably the worst person to give any advice! I am bad too, on hard nights, I'll put Gracie to sleep by nursing because I just don't want to deal with the crying!
Taking the bottle (and the binkie) away are both very hard. It's one of those "rip it off fast" like a band-aid thing. It hurts for a bit, but then it's OK. You may have a few sleepless nights (one or two at most) but then it just becomes routine. I think you can try to soft sippy cup idea, but we just decided to take it away cold turkey. It was hard for the first night or two, and then it was fine. Whatever you do, though, once you decide...don't give in when she cries and cries (then she'll know she can cry and get what she wants :)) She really will be OK. If she's crying, go in and give her a love, and tell her good night, and leave again. Do this as many times as you need to until she calms down.
I don't envy you! It's hard, but it will be over soon. :)
I agree with all the advise that has already been given. My kids never took bottles-- so I can't help you there!
They both were addicted to their binky's though and that was tough for a few nights. What I did was cut the tip of the binky off and then I handed it to them and said "Binky broken... All gone" and let them throw it away in the garbage. The first 2 nights were a little tough but worth it. The key is to be consistent in whatever you do and don't cave in!
Now, when it comes to naps, I am crazy. My kids go to bed the same time everyday, no matter what. That is the only way I keep my sanity is with my kids on a schedule. Nap time at my house is basically from 12:30-3pm. I just lay Parker down and he doesn't fuss because he is used to it now. In the beginning, he would. I would just go back into the room and in a stern voice say "it is naptime" and then walk back out.
I know every kid is differnt so hopefully this works out for you. It has worked perfect for my kids and even my 4 1/2 year old still has "quiet time" every day!
Even if I hear Parker awake before 3pm, I just let him play in his crib. I want him to learn to self sooth and to entertain himself. Love it! Sometimes I won't even know he is awake until I go in there and check on him!
Hope that helps!
Gosh, I wish I could help. We are still struggling with naps, too! Please let me know what works for you, when you figure it out. And I have the opposite problem as you; Pierce is now refusing the bottle! Grrrr.
I am going to ask the doctor for advice regarding the naps and night waking at his 6 month visit, next Friday. I'll let you know what she says.
Post a Comment